No Jail-breaking and no additional app needed.
Do you constantly get calls from a telemarketing number that’s driving you crazy? Wouldn’t it be great to be able to block? Definitely, but since that’s not a built in option on the iPhone a great workaround is to give the number a silent ringtone. All you have to do is create a contact from the number and set the ringtone to Silent. Once again, they missed the mark and a silent ringtone doesn’t come with your phone, however, there are lots of simple silent ringtones available. Here’s a small 8K file SilentRing.m4r
Here’s how to add the Silent Ringtone to your phone:
- Download a silent ringtone to your computer. SilentRing.m4r
- Open iTunes. Under LIBRARY on the left-hand menu in iTunes click TONES.
- Copy the silent ringtone into TONES.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer and sync (make sure Sync Tones is checked). The silent ringtone should now appear in your list of ringtones and you can assign this ringtone to specific contacts
Here’s how you assign the ringtone to the number you want to “Block”:
- Open Phone App.
- Go to RECENTS on your call list and click on the arrow to the right of the number for more options.
- Select Create New Contact.*
- Fill in the name field, I usually put SCAM or TELEMARKETER so I know at a quick glance in the future.
- Select on the ringtone currently shown as Default.
- Choose the SilentRing ringtone from the list.
- Press the SAVE button.
- Depending on your default settings you may also need to set Vibration to NONE.
- Press the DONE button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Now when that number calls again you’ll see the call as SCAM (or whatever you entered) but it won’t ring.
*Another option is to create a single SCAM contact and add the new number to it using “Add to Existing Contact”. That way you only need to set the ringtone and vibration on a single contact. However, if you are syncing contacts with other services you may need to look into the limits on phone numbers per contact.
Admittedly, it’s not really blocking a call but it does make them silent and that’s all we really want isn’t it? This is a fairly simple solution that doesn’t require a 3rd party app and can be used on any contacts you want. Hope it helps and feel free to comment or share to show your appreciation.
Leave a comment
iOS Tips and Tricks